Senior Football Success

Well done to our senior footballers who they defeated a gallant Killina SS on a scoreline of 3-11 to 3-3 in what were very difficult conditions.
The home side got off to a great start, points from Barry Coffey, Barry Thompson, Aaron McBride, Rory Egan and a goal from Joe Foran saw the Edenderry boys lead by 1-6 to no score. Killina struggled to cope with the Edenderry forwards. Alan Harte impressed, and the ever industrious half forward line of Colm Moore, Brian Darcy and Joe McBride caused all sorts of problems for the killina defenders. The Edenderry defence was superb, the Killina forwards really struggled to get anything  more than one point for their troubles. The Kilmurray brothers were outstanding, as was full back Adam O Brien, centre back Aaron McBride chipped in with a great point, wing backs Harry Jones and Shane Murphy supported Barry Thompson and Rory Egan in midfield and kept a good supply of ball going in to the Edenderry forwards. However, just before half time the Killina lads were thrown a lifeline, the visitors grabbed an opportunistic goal, leaving the scoreline 1-7 to 1-1 at halftime.
At the change, the Killina boys came out and put it up to the home side. A well worked move saw the visiting team grab a goal back, leaving 3 points between the teams. The introduction of Jack McLoughlin at half time paid dividends when he quickly got the first of his two goals to restore a 6 point lead. The Killina boys kept their heads up and the second half proved to be a tense affair for the home side, Dean Pluck, in goals, pulled off some point blank saves, his crossbar and upright were also rattled by goal bound shots, McLoughlin netted his second goal and still the Killina lads refused to lie down. They put over a couple of points and converted a penalty to leave the last few minutes nervous ones. The introduction of Luke Spollen, Gary Kiernan and Tom Mangan injected some much needed energy and the home side finished strongly with further points from Aaron McBride and Brian Darcy, leaving the final score 3-11 to 3-3.
Well done again to the Oaklands lads and commiserations to a very gallant Killina side.